In some cases, it might be useful to set up a practice assignment attempt for students so that they can test their equipment and the process ahead of the formal attempt. You can use the Assignment tool in Blackboard to do this.
If you have used the FET Module Template, you might want to set this up under Assignments on the left hand menu to help familiarise students with the location of the eventual submission point, which will appear in Assignments.
- Select Assignment on the left menu to open a window.
- Click on the dropdown arrow to the right of Assessments and select Assignment.
- Give it a name, perhaps include ‘Practice submission’ in the title so the purpose is clear.
- What you put in the Instructions box will depend on the type of submission, but again make it clear that this is for practice purposes only and students are not expected to post a completed submission at this time.
- Attach any relevant files. It may not be appropriate to release the actual assessment here; if not then just include a sample file so that students can test access to it.
- Set a time period for the practice submission, leaving as much time as possible before the formal submission so that there is time for students to resolve any IT issues or confusion over the instructions.
- Set ‘Points Possible’ as 1.
- Under ‘Submission Details’ for ‘Number of Attempts’ select ‘Multiple Attempts’ as it is for practice purposes.
- Leave ‘Plagiarism Tools’ unticked.
- Ignore ‘Marking Options’ and ‘Display of marks’.
- Set a limit on the availability.
Finally, send students an announcement to let them know a practice assignment has been set up and where they can find it.