MS Forms is an easy to use but surprisingly versatile tool which can be used to create both surveys and quizzes. These can be integrated easily into Teams and Outlook, embedded in your Blackboard module or shared using a link.
Unlike a Blackboard survey, it can be used with students across different programmes and modules, or with external participants.
Unlike Mentimeter, you can choose whether or not responses are anonymous, create branching, and accept lengthy responses including file uploads.
Some examples include:
- Collecting preferences for project groups or tutorial times
- Getting feedback on your module
- Multiple choice quizzes
- Student self-assessment
- For students to create their own surveys for research projects
Question types include:
- Multiple choice (with options for multiple answer, drop-down and ‘other’ response)
- Text (with options for numeric restrictions, e.g. ‘Please enter a number greater than 1’, or for a long answer)
- Rating (2 to 10 options as a number or a star rating)
- Likert scale
- File upload
You can also:
- Add sections and branching (other parts of the form only appear following certain responses)
- Make questions required or optional
- Randomise Multiple Choice options
- Add images or video to a question
- Share for responses, for collaboration or as a template
In addition, if using the Quiz option, you can:
- Add points to each question
- Use a Maths keyboard
- On Multiple Choice questions, specify the correct answer and give feedback for each option
(other ways of creating a quiz are covered in our article Tests and quizzes – which tool do I choose?)
To access Forms, go to https://office365.uwe.ac.uk/ and choose the Forms icon on the left-hand side.
For full instructions see Microsoft’s Support site for Forms.